Well today is day 6 of my Topaz Texture Effects ‘trial before buy’ challenge. So for this challenge I thought I would do a complete comparison of using Lightroom and Topaz Effects and just using Topaz Effects.
This is the image I started out with… which was taken at Inveruglas on the edge of Loch Lomond in Scotland.
Topaz Texture Effects 2 Processing Technique
Step 1 – Basic Adjustment Layer
- Open image in Lightroom and Edited In Topaz Texture Effects without any Lightroom Adjustments using the SOOC image.
- Add Basic Adjustment Layer – adjusted sliders.
Step 2 – Added Texture Adjustment
- Using one of my own textures I added a brown/cream tinted texture
- Enabled Masking and used the luminosity masking option
Step 3 – Added Blue Texture to Water
- Added blue texture
- Enabled masking and used luminosity masking
Step 3 – Added Vignette
- Added a vignette using these settings
Step 4 Added a Basic Adjustment
- Added a basic adjustment for Toning with these settings
Step 5 – Added a Basic Adjustment for Dodging
- Added a basic adjustment for dodging using these settings
- Enabled masking and inverted mask and used the brush tool and altered the settings as I made my brush strokes.
Step 6 – Added Basic Adjustment for Burning
- Added a basic adjustment for burning using these settings
Step 7 – Added Split Toning Adjustment
- Added split toning using these settings
Step 8 – Dust and Scratches Adjustment
- Added a dust and scratches layer to the whole image
- Enabled Luminosity masking using these settings.
Step 9 – Created my own Preset.
- I created my own preset for these settings by clicking Save so that I could use this preset again.
SOOC/Topaz Effects -vs- Lightroom Basic Adjustments/Topaz Texture Effects 2
I wanted to try the same processing technique using the same image but doing basic Lightroom adjustments before editing in Topaz Effects. And here is the result.
SOOC/Topaz Texture Effects 2 and Lightroom Basic Adjustments/Topaz Texture Effects – Final Lightroom Edits
I wanted to also do a comparison of both images (SOOC and Lightroom basic edits) with added Lightroom Adjustments after Processing in Topaz Texture Effects 2 using the same Topaz Texture Effects 2 processing method as above.
On a personal note I love Topaz Texture Effects 2 for adding a texture to your photographs .. it is easy, fast and a versatile piece of software. Excellent results can be achieved by either SOOC images or images that have had basic Lightroom/Photoshop/Camera Raw edits. For me I do prefer to do some initial adjustments in Lightroom, before editing in Topaz Texture Effects 2. And irrespective of whether I am in Lightroom or Photoshop… for adding textures to my photographs in the future, I will definitely be using Topaz Texture Effects 2 as I find this software achieves great results with ease of use.
I do hope this appraisal has helped you in some way and I think Topaz Texture Effects is a great addition to your software bundle.