Tall Ships Festival – September 2014

More than 50 tall ships have arrived in London for the start of the Tall Ships Festival on the River Thames. The ships, some of which are about 100 years old, will line the river’s banks from 5- 9 September. It is the first time the event has been held in London for 25 years …

Advertisements
Canary Wharf

Canary Wharf is located on the West India Docks on the Isle of Dogs. From 1802 to 1939, the area was one of the busiest docks in the world. After the 1960s, the port industry began to decline, leading to all the docks being closed by 1980. Of the three main docks of the West …

Buttermere Lakes

Buttermere is a lake in the English Lake District in North West England. The adjacent village of Buttermere takes its name from the lake. Historically in Cumberland, the lake is now within the county of Cumbria. It is owned by the National Trust, forming part of their Buttermere and Ennerdale property. The lake is 1.25 …

Aria Force – Cumbria

Aira Force is a waterfall in the English Lake District, in the civil parish of Matterdale and the county of Cumbria. The site of the waterfall is owned by the National Trust. The stream which flows over the waterfall is Aira Beck, which rises on the upper slopes of Stybarrow Dodd at a height of …

Ightham Mote

Ightham Mote (pronounced “item moat”), Ightham, Kent is a medieval moated manor house. The architectural writer John Newman describes it as “the most complete small medieval manor house in the county.” Ightham Mote and its gardens are owned by the National Trust and are open to the public. The house is a Grade I listed …

Kearsney Abbey Gardens and Russell Gardens

Kearsney Abbey and Russell Gardens are the most popular, historic parks in Dover. They are located 2.5 miles north west of Dover town centre in the Alkham Valley, part of the Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Both parks are carefully designed landscapes. Thousands of tonnes of earth were moved and trees planted to …

Leigh-on-Sea

Leigh-on-Sea also referred to as Leigh, is a town and civil parish in Essex, England. A district of Southend-on-Sea, with its own town council, it is currently the only civil parish within the borough. Leigh-on-Sea is situated on the northern side of the Thames Estuary, only a few miles from the open waters of the …

Mount Ephraim Gardens

Mount Ephraim Gardens is an Edwardian terraced gardens located at Hernhill, near Faversham, in the English county of Kent. The gardens are laid out around a Grade II listed house and 800 acres (3,200,000 m2) estate. It was originally built in 1695, then rebuilt in 1878 and then extended 1913 all for the Dawes family. The …

Eltham Palace Gardens

Eltham Palace is a large house in Eltham, within the Royal Borough of Greenwich, in south-east London, England. It is an unoccupied royal residence and owned by the Crown Estate. In 1995 its management was handed over to English Heritage which restored the building in 1999 and opened it to the public. It has been …

Dungeness

Dungeness (UK /ˌdʌndʒəˈnɛs/) is a headland on the coast of Kent, England, formed largely of a shingle beach in the form of a cuspate foreland. It shelters a large area of low-lying land, Romney Marsh. Dungeness is also the name of the power station, of the hamlet within the location, and of an important ecological …

Dover Castle

Dover Castle is a medieval castle in Dover, Kent. It was founded in the 11th century and has been described as the “Key to England” due to its defensive significance throughout history. It is the largest castle in England.

The Three Sisters – Glencoe

Bidean nam Bian, lying to the south of Glen Coe, Highland, Scotland, is the highest point in the former county of Argyll. It is a complex mountain, with many ridges and subsidiary peaks, one of which, Stob Coire Sgreamhach, is classified as a separate Munro. The most noticeable features of Bidean nam Bian are the …

On the road to Mallaig

Mallaig i/ˈmælɪɡ/; (Scottish Gaelic: Malaig [ˈmal̪ˠɛkʲ]) is a port in Lochaber, on the west coast of the Highlands of Scotland. The local railway station, Mallaig, is the terminus of the West Highland railway line (Fort William & Mallaig branch), completed in 1901, and the town is linked to Fort William by the A830 road – …

Glencoe

Glencoe or Glencoe Village (Gaelic: A’ Chàrnaich) is the main settlement in Glen Coe in the Lochaber area of the Scottish Highlands. It lies at the north-west end of the glen, on the southern bank of the River Coe where it enters Loch Leven (a salt-water loch off Loch Linnhe). The village falls within the …

Old Inverlochy Castle

Inverlochy Castle is a ruined, 13th-century castle near Inverlochy and Fort William, Highland, Scotland. The site of two battles, the castle remains largely unchanged since its construction. It is now in the care of Historic Scotland. Inverlochy Castle was built circa 1270–1280 by John “the Black” Comyn, Lord of Badenoch and Lochaber, and chief of …

Joss Bay

Joss Bay is a popular sandy beach sheltered by steep chalk cliffs and backing on to the North Foreland golf course. Stretching for around 200 metres this is a great family beach with all the facilities close at hand. There is a beach cafe, toilets, plenty of car parking and deck-chair hire if you really …

Nymans

Nymans is an English garden in Handcross, Sussex. It was developed, starting in the late 19th century, by three generations of the Messel family, and was brought to renown by Leonard Messel. In 1953 Nymans became a National Trust property. Nymans is the origin of many sports, selections and hybrids, both planned and serendipitous, some …

Broadview Gardens

Broadview Gardens is a unique garden originally designed and maintained as a teaching resource for students at Hadlow College, now open to the public. The gardens are maintained by a dedicated team of gardeners and offer work experience for students and volunteers. The 8 acres of garden are formed around a 100 metre long double …

Leeds Castle

Leeds Castle is in Kent, England, 5 miles (8 km) southeast of Maidstone. A castle has been on the site since 1119. In the 13th century it came into the hands of King Edward I, for whom it became a favourite residence; in the 16th century, Henry VIII used it as a dwelling for his first wife, …

12