Bateman’s is a 17th-century house located in Burwash, East Sussex, England. Author Rudyard Kipling lived in Bateman’s from 1902 to his death in 1936. His wife bequeathed the house to the National Trust on her death in 1939, and it has since been opened to the public.
Bateman’s is a modest Jacobean Wealden sandstone mansion built in about 1634 probably for William Langham. It has been alleged that a later occupier, John Britten, was an ironmaster but there is no evidence to support this. Six brick columns form a massive central chimneystack above the gabled facades.
Today the rooms are left as they were when the Kipling family lived there. Kipling and his wife created interiors that complemented the 17th-century house. The heart of the house is the book-lined study, at the top of the stairs, where Kipling worked. He sat at a 17th-century walnut refectory table under the window and his writing tools, paperweight, and pipe are still there.
Bateman’s also reflects Kipling’s strong links with the Indian subcontinent. There are oriental rugs in many rooms and the parlour displays Kipling’s collection of Indian works of art and artefacts. His bookplate shows a small figure reading on top of an elephant. Exhibition rooms contain manuscripts, letters, and mementoes of Kipling’s life and work.
High Weald AONB, Bateman’s Ln,