The above photograph was taken at Merriment Gardens in East Sussex.. earlier this month… as you can see there are a couple of trunks that distracted your eye away from the tulips… so my first job in Lightroom was to clone those out using ‘Spot Removal Tool’. After that I then cropped the image to the size I wanted.
My next set of actions was to do my edits in the ‘Basic Panel’ and for this I lowered the highlights, increased the shadows, added some contrast, decreased the exposure and found my white and black points. After that I added some Clarity, Vibrance and Saturation.
In the ‘Tone Curve’ panel, I used a medium contrast setting and then went to the ‘Colour’ panel and played around the Luminance of the reds. I then added some ‘Split Toning’ using a golden colour for the highlights and a very blue/grey for the shadows.
Finally I added some detail and played around with the masking slider to only get the detail in the areas I wanted in the ‘Detail Panel’. Then I did my usual ‘Lens Corrections’ by ticking the Profile and Remove Chromatic Aberration boxes. After that I added a vignette in the ‘Effects Panel’ and then in the ‘Camera Calibration Panel’ I left the profile to Adobe Standard.
After I did those edits (as pictured above) I then added some radial filters to increase the exposure on the tulips themselves… for this I created three radial filters each one focussing on a different tulip.